Monday, December 24, 2012

Common Sense and the Big Picture

I believe I have a healthy dose of common sense and am very good at seeing the big picture of most topics. I am not very religious. However, I do not disbelieve. I am as much of a moral person as I am able to be due to my early exposure to religion and my inherent wish to learn and enjoy the benefits of all that is good and beautiful in this life. I know there is something greater than us and I hope for something better after this life. I know that we cannot each individually advance without striving to be the best we are able to be while ensuring we do not encroach on others. This is essentially what the American founding is all about, too.

I do not study religion. However, I believe that the Judeo-Christian philosophy is a necessary part of the advancement of man. I am only discussing Judeo-Christian philosophy because I have no direct experience with other peaceful religions. I know that the Bible is sort of a guidebook, if you will, to a happy life. It is an instruction guide, if followed, that would ensure people will deal with each other humanely in all of life's situations. Different interpretations of the Bible is where the problems, in a religious sense, have shown themselves. It is not the Bible or religion that is at fault, but people and their own interpretations that cause all of these problems. Yes, I mean ALL.

Of course, I look at things from an optimistic point of view. If you are naturally a pessimist, you will have a hard road in this life and it generally will show in all you do. If, however, you are able to see the big picture in all of life's events, you will see that MAN and their erroneous interpretations of the way things should be, is the cause of most suffering, not religion. Where we reach the Divine is when a person can look beyond themselves and really see how their actions affect themselves and others. The Bible gives us step-by-step guidance on how to reach the Divine in life, and possibly, thereafter. It is to the detriment of man-kind that we are allowing the Bible to be seen or ridiculed as a joke and as "uncool". Purging it from our educational system will ensure ignorance and, ultimately, destroy our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment